Isaiah 1:18

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow, though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Bible Verse for Memorization

I am sitting here and wondering how long it has been since I have attempted to memorize scripture for my own benefit. I have learned them while working with my child and his schoolwork. I have learned them with my Sunday School kids. When did I last learn them for myself? What about you? Do you hide His word in your heart? Do you realize how important it is that you do this? Sometimes I wonder if there will be a point in my lifetime that we, as Americans, will no longer have access to a physical Bible, a book that is tangible, that we can look up scripture as we need it. Sometimes I get in a situation and later find that if I had committed a particular verse to memory, I may have been able to handle a situation differently. I want to learn verses and I would love for you to join me. Will you?
Our first passage is:

John 14:16-20
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you forever.
Even the Spirit of truth; who the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him; but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
I will not leave you comfortless; I will come to you.
Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me; because I live, ye shall live also.
At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
(KJV)
The difference with this memorization program is that you will not just memorize a verse or passage, you will learn it's meaning and the context in which it is found in the Bible. I have always thought it important to learn a verse but, to me, the meaning of the verse and how you can apply it is so much more important than using the exact words. So, I will be using study Bibles, concordances and commentaries. I am not a theologian and therefor, there is no need for me to give my opinion.
These verses are found in the Gospels and were written by the Apostle John. It was written around 85-90 AD. It is within the boundary of Christ's private ministry to his own, the Believers.
From the Scofield Study Bible:
(vs. 16) The word comforter is the translation of the Greek word parakletos meaning: one called alongside to help, a consoler. It is also translated as an advocate. Christ is the Christian's paraclete with the Father when the Christian sins; the Holy Spirit is the Christian's indwelling paraclete to help his ignorance and infirmity, and to make intercession. (Rom. 8:26-27)
(vs. 20) The new relationship described in the words "ye in me, and I in you" introduces the New Testament mystery of the body of Christ. The position of the Church in Christ, as composed of members of His body and the truth of Christ as indwelling the believer are central features in the Pauline doctrine of the Church, and are here revealed to the disciples for the first time by Christ.
From The MacArthur Study Bible:
(vs. 16) The priestly and intercessory work of Christ began with the request that the Father send the Holy Spirit to indwell in the people of faith. The word another means another of the same kind, i.e. someone like Jesus Himself who will take His place and do His Work. The Spirit of Christ is the Third Person of the Trinity, having the same essence of deity as Jesus and as perfectly one with Him as He is with the Father. Helper means "one called alongside to help" and has the idea of someone who encourages and exhorts. "Be with you" has to do with His permanent residence in believers.
(vs. 17) He is the Spirit of truth in that He is the source of truth and communicates the truth to His own. Apart from Him, people cannot know God's truth. Abides with you and will be in you indicate some distinction between the ministry of the Holy spirit to believers before and after Pentecost. While clearly the Holy Spirit has been with all who have ever believed throughout redemptive history as the source of truth, faith, and life, Jesus is saying something new is coming in His ministry.
(vs. 18) In this veiled reference to His death, Jesus promised not to leave them alone.
(vs. 18,19) First, He was referring to His resurrection, after which they would see Him. There is no record that any unbelievers saw Him after he rose. In another sense, this has reference to the mystery of the Trinity. Through the coming and indwelling of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, Jesus would be back with His children.
(vs. 19) Because of His resurrection and by the indwelling life of the Spirit of Christ, believers possess eternal life.
(vs. 20) In that day refers to His resurrection when He returns to them alive.
I pray that you will have the desire to hide His words in your heart so that you may recall them when needed. These verses speak to me and remind me that I am His, He is mine and that He will never leave me.
Prayerfully,
Linda

4 comments:

  1. Linda,
    This was a very insightful post. I am encouraged by your desire to memorize scripture. I have not really tried doing this since is was a little girl in Sabbath school. You have really spent some time in reading His word and studying in order to compose such a post. I look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Elizabeth. I look forward to doing many in the future. I'm kind of slow so probably one a month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, thanks for the beautiful post. You really put a lot of time in this. I appreciate you so much and am so happy we met. Love U and hope to have lunch when it warms up. Take care. Syl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Sylvia. Yes, I am thankful as well. Can't wait to plan lunch with you soon.

    ReplyDelete